Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

When Allergies Lead to Crunchy...



At MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) this year, the theme is “Plunge,” as in, “Plunge right in!” So, that’s what I’m going to do this year. I don’t often talk about myself on an intimate level (and especially not on paper), but this year is about focusing on getting to know each other better as mothers, friends, and women. In that spirit, I’m plunging right in!

I stink. Yes, you read that right. It started in the middle of my pregnancy for my second child, Andrew. I became allergic to something in commercially available deodorant. I frantically tried many of the “natural” deodorants with not much success. When I’m out and about during the day, I often sneak in another application of deodorant just before getting out of my car. I cringe inwardly when someone stands just a little too close, and keep my arms tucked tightly to my sides. I always take the bottom half of hugs. I fervently hope that the people sitting next to me have stuffy noses… for their sakes.

It has been a big struggle to accept this part of myself. Of course I would never go back to B.K. (Before Kids), but just what was it about my dear son that made my body so different? And what am I to do about it? 

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...

Thankfully, I have recently developed a passionate relationship with Pinterest, and found a homemade deodorant recipe there good enough to cover up “Texas Summer Man Smell.” Well, that sounded promising!

  1. equal parts aluminum free baking soda and either arrowroot powder or GMO-free cornstarch (The creator uses about ½ cup baking soda and 1/2 cup arrowroot)
  2. mix with coconut oil until moist and then store in a jar
  3. seriously. that’s it.
  4. If you want to get fancy, though, add a little lemon, tea tree, rosemary, lavender or bergamot essential oil
  5. Natalie's Note: I react strongly to the alkalinity created by too much baking soda, so as recommended in the comments of the linked website, I decreased my proportion of baking soda. I used 2 Tbsp baking soda and 1/2 cup corn starch.
So, yes, as we bob along through life, clinging to each other as we would a life vest, remember that we each have our own trials, life changes, and sometimes body stink to deal with. Don’t let that come in the way of making new connections to those around you.

This year, for me, is all about making new connections by Plunging right in there. Love as if your life depended on it. At MOPS and in my Facebook group (Lansing Area Crunchy Mommas), the goal is to have no mother mothering alone, You are why I am here, and you are not alone.

Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. (ESV)

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me. (ESV)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to TOP